Amazon does not allow all sellers to sell all items or in all categories. Sellers are obligated under their contract with Amazon to remain up to date on the restricted lists of products and list of categories that require approval before selling. Sellers are often suspended for assuming that the products sold by other sellers are not restricted or do not require approval. Just because you see another seller doing it, does not mean they are not violating Amazon’s policies.
If your Amazon seller account is suspended after being accused of selling Amazon restricted products, you need to know how to obtain reinstatement of your selling privileges. But before jump into that part, let’s find out more about Amazon Restricted Products Policy.
Amazon Restricted Products
Amazon’s restricted product policy states that “products offered for sale on Amazon must comply with all laws and regulations and with Amazon’s policies. The sale of illegal, unsafe, or other restricted products listed on these pages, including products available only by prescription, is strictly prohibited.”
When an Amazon Seller lists an Amazon restricted product, Amazon may take actions “including but not limited to immediately suspending or terminating selling privileges, destroying inventory in our fulfillment centers without reimbursement, returning inventory, and terminating the business relationship, and permanent withholding of payments”.
Amazon sellers are charged with knowing all of Amazon’s policies even when Amazon does not give you notice of Amazon seller policy changes. As a seller on the Amazon website, it is your responsibility to make sure that both you and your products comply with all applicable laws and Amazon policies. It is each seller’s responsibility to carefully review Amazon policies before listing a product.
Best Practices to Aid in Compliance with Amazon Policies
Amazon Sellers should always ensure that each product they list is not restricted on whatever Amazon marketplaces you are selling. If an Amazon Seller is selling internationally, the seller must confirm the legality of the sale of the product in each country. Amazon policy requires all sellers to stay aware of Amazon’s policy changes. Here is a couple of ways this can be accomplished in your practices:
- When in doubt about whether a product may be sold, do not list it.
- Assign one or more employees to be responsible for reviewing each product you plan to sell. This employee should have deep and up-to-date knowledge of the products as well as the industry, including laws applicable to those products.
- Carefully review our Restricted Products policy and your product catalog on a regular basis. This includes any products that are included in inventory feeds or uploaded using an automated system.
- If buying inventory from a source other than the manufacturer, apply extra diligence to understand the provenance of the products and the legal framework in which they may be sold.
- If selling drugs or supplements, understand the ingredients in these products and research whether they are permitted. In addition to Amazon Restricted Products policy, there are some resources available online that can help sellers with this research, including those listed on the following help page:
As an Amazon Seller who sells internationally, you should never assume the product listing is permitted without first checking the restrictions of that marketplace. Keep in mind that prevention is the best method. If unfortunately, Amazon catches you selling anything that is restricted, it is best to admit your mistake and move forward. Your Plan of Action (POA) should not blame anyone else, and should especially not blame Amazon.
Step 1: Remove all your listings
Firstly, remove all your listings which included the prohibited products. Removing the listing is essentially the only acceptable remedy for the reinstatement of a suspended Amazon seller when a product is restricted on the Amazon marketplace.
Step 2: Create a Plan of action
Your POA should include:
- What went wrong
Failed to read the Amazon guidelines and applicable laws
- What have done to fix the issue
- Reviewed all Amazon policies, guidelines and help pages
- Understood all the requirements to maintain seller account
- Checked all the remaining listings to make sure that the products are described accurately
- What will do to prevent this from happening again
- Verify products are permitted for sale and compliant with Amazon policies and applicable laws before listing.
- Regularly review the Amazon policies again to catch any of their updates and monitor changes in laws and regulations.
Step 3: Send an appeal letter and receive Amazon’s response.
Takeaway for Amazon Sellers
When an Amazon sellers’ account is suspended, the suspended Amazon seller must demonstrate the efforts they have taken to stay current on Amazon Policies in addition to removing the restricted inventory.
Amazoker is always ready to help you if you are stuck in account suspension situation and unable to successfully reinstate your account. Contact us now!